Thursday, July 24, 2008

Know When to say ENOUGH!

Last night it was looking like T-storms 2 - Zach 0. However by the time I got the bike setup in the garage to ride, it had blown over so I headed outside. The workout was this:

Warm-Up
2x5:00 at 410 watts (VO2)
1x5:00 "Race winning interval"

I felt pretty decent for the first 5:00 averaging 409, right on target. I decided to mix it up and go straight into the "race winning interval" after a 5:00 recovery. This is one of my favorite workouts that simulates an end of the race "winning move." It starts with a 15 second sprint, usually at around 1600 watts for me, and then goes into V02 or around 410 watts until 3:00, then settles into FTP (345 watts) for the last two minutes and then ends with a sprint.

This workout simulates perfectly a 2 to go race winning move in a crit. You have the sprint to create initial separation, the 3:00 of high output V02 to build a good gap, and the last two minutes you settle in to your FTP and then you finish with a sprint to hold off the field for the win. These are really hard.

So I start the "race winning interval" and at about a minute into it I notice that my HR is only around 185, very close to my LT HR, (max is about 203 for me). Normally my HR would be in the mid 190s for this particular workout. I have been noticing for the past few days that I was feeling tired and sluggish and legs have been sore, the deep soreness that feels like its in the bone.

Alarms and red lights went off instantly, WARNING WARNING MELT DOWN APPROACHING. I instantly killed the workout and headed home for some good sleep.

Which leads me to the point of the post, listen to your body and pay attention to the signs. Know when its time to pull the plug and take a rest day. This is where having a coach to review your power/HR files really comes in handy. Most athletes don't recognize overtraining until its to late and the are in a violent tail spin ending a large portion of their season, and perhaps ruining their "A" race of the year. Even riders that may recognize the signs are often too stubborn to listen to them and think they should "man up" and push through it.

I constantly preach "less is often more" and "when in doubt don't." When you get these warning signs listen to them and go home and take a nap, you'll be way better off for it.

Most of you know that one of my "A" goals is coming up Sunday the hometown Morganton Cycling Classic. So i have decided to stay away from the bike today and tomorrow and do a short "tune-up " ride on Saturday. I would much rather show up a little "dull" well rested and motivated than perhaps a little sharper but tired and overtrained. After all there are 7 crits next week, plus a TTT so I need the rest!

No comments: