Monday, July 21, 2008

FBCC - CRASH!


This past weekend was French Broad Cycling Classic omnium in western NC. I skipped the TT on Friday and had plans on doing the crits only. Saturday we drove down to Brevard NC for the crit and after Tonya raced, check that, chased around the two Pros from Chreerwine and Aarons for 40 minutes, it was my turn.

All of the usual suspects were there, including the Coca-Cola guys and the Pro DLP team, including Thad Dulin. Plus about 50 other local strong guys. The course was rotten with allot of holes and very narrow corners, but it had a climb up to the finish which suited me and I was able to easily move up each lap going up the hill.

I covered several early moves and felt GREAT, this was going to be a good race for me. Unfortunately in the very narrow and fast (30 mph+) second corner, the rider in front of me caught a pedal and did the usual bike hop, but didn't go down. I had no choice but to try and go to the inside to avoid hitting him. Unfortunately, the tires didn't hold that kind of corner and I lost a wheel, front actually, I think. Went down hard on the right side, two or three behind me went right into me. Everyone was ok thankfully.

I ruined my rear wheel and banged up the RD, shifter and bar. Along with my back side. I did get a new wheel and a free lap and got back in there. However, at this point I was pretty bummed and psyched out mentally, especially in the corners. Plus I was hurting pretty badly. I did about 20 more minutes with the main field and then hung it up, my head wasn't in the game at all after going down.

Took Sunday off and laid around the house and took it easy, I will be back on the bike today, after i put it back together, and get tuned up for Crossroads starting on Friday.

No comments: