Wednesday, February 21, 2007

New Bike!


Its always a good week when you get a new bike! I picked up my new team Orbea Orca Saturday and promptly built it up and started riding. I have about 150 miles on it so far and I have to say its pretty sweet. I am looking forward to racing it in Grennville SC this weekend.

The ride is really tight, for lack of a better word. Kind of reminds me of the new Audi A3 i test drove a few weeks ago. Comfortable, with a sports car type feel. It is noticeably stiffer in the bottom bracket area than many of the bikes I have ridden, but is not lacking on comfort. It has nice steering and handles like its on rails. It is very quick and responsive without being nervous. I would say its a great all around bike if you are going to have just one arrow in your quiver. Well suited for both stage racing and criteriums alike.

My only complaints are that the head tube is enormous at 21cm, it reminds me of one of those $10,000 custom titanium bikes, what are those called again. The TT is also a little on the short side for an aggressive race position. Both of these issues will be easily fixed when the new 140mm x 10degree stem arrives for it latter this week. If you like a less aggressive position, the Orca geometry is a good choice with its sensible geometry.

Ill post a report this weekend to let you all know how it (and me) performs in the race this weekend.

No comments: