Thursday, April 23, 2009

Make It Hurt So Good

Hey everyone. As this is my first post on the blog I reckon’ a short introduction is in order. My name is Evan Burkhart. I’m a Category 2 road racer and just started working with Zach a few weeks ago. I currently ride for the ITS-Kane Elite Cycling Team. If you desire more background follow the link to my blog, Saddle Up, a little further down.

Zach asked me to contribute to the blog and since he seems to have the technical and the nutritional covered, I’ll focus my thoughts elsewhere.

Since I’ve started working with Zach the name of the game has been pain. My total time on the road has decreased but every time I throw my leg over the bike I have to be prepared to hurt. At first I simply didn’t know what to expect. I would see a workout and say, “Man, that looks kind of hard.” Then I would find out. Do you know what it’s like to be dying a thousand deaths only to look down and realize you’ve just hit the half way mark of a workout? I do. I was pushing myself further than I ever had in training. These workouts were tough, physically and mentally. You might think that after a while knowing every workout was going to hurt, a lot, would get old and the motivation to push yourself to those limits would disappear. However, since I’ve been doing these workouts I’ve seen a huge jump in my fitness. I’ve never experienced gains this significant in such a short amount of time. Now I can’t wait to get on the bike and push it. I know the pain is making me stronger and I legitimately enjoy it. Then, when it’s all over, there is the rush of endorphins and the visualization of that moment when it is all going to pay off. So the next time you question how hard you should push yourself and if it is really worth it, just remember to make it hurt so good. I promise you will become a stronger cyclist and a stronger person for it.

Having said that, remember to have fun. It’s not always about torturing yourself endlessly. Enjoy the recovery rides and the time spent outdoors. Don’t forget why cycling is such a great sport and enjoy every aspect to its fullest. Ciao.

No comments: